- This event has passed.
International Women’s Strike – 8 March 2023
March 8 @ 6:30 pm
8TH MARCH 2023
6:30 PM @ TRAFALGAR SQUARE
The Transnational Strike of all Women and Gender Non-Conforming folks take the streets to fight alongside our siblings, to resist capitalist, colonial and patriarchal exploitation!
Individualistic thinking maintains the status quo- and the conservative fascist nightmare that is unfolding in the UK demands collective resistance.
Trans and migrant rights are under attack from the far-right and the government. The Police remain a violent institution that protects the interests of those who rape, abuse and harrass us, systematically.
Around the world, our sisters shout WOMEN LIFE FREEDOM from Kurdistan to Peru. They fight for liberation and sovereignty against violent and repressive states. We stand with them because this is our fight here too.
We are taking action to resist together, and through rage and rebellious joy take up space to make our voices heard.
WE STRIKE BECAUSE:
1. in the UK alone 3 women are killed by men per week. We strike against femicide and to demand an end to the sexist, homophobic, and transphobic violence.
2. in the past 5 years, over 2000 police officers in the UK have been accused of sexual misconduct. We need to put an end to the silence pact that continues to protect their institutional misogyny and racism.
3. we still get paid less than men for the same job and we overwhelmingly do the house work and care work on top of it.
4. this government incites racist violence through its hostile environment and anti-refugee rhetoric. And we do not want the UK to continue to perpetuate imperialism.
5. we are in full solidarity with all the UK workers who demand the government to prioritise living conditions, and pay, over an extortionate capitalist pursuit of profit.
6. fossil fuel companies are making record profits, while over 3 million households cannot afford to heat their homes.
7. we strike with fury and love for the sisters that are no longer with us. For Brianna Ghey. For Sarah Everard. For Sarah Reed.
8. WE STRIKE AS A WAY TO BUILD BETTER WORLDS TOGETHER.